Sunday 18 January 2015

self identity and creative voice- visual culture




Self Identity



For my task this week I was asked to try and identify my self as an illustrator.
 Prior studying at university I never classed myself as an illustrator so I don’t really have any official works which I think could portray what and who I am. 
I still don’t think I fit into any one category of illustrator there is many forms which I could land  
Children's Book, 
Advertising, 
Editorial,
 Graphical, 
Product, 
Fashion, 
Gallery 
Prints etc.
 So at the moment I would class my self as a freelance illustrator. As I am still finding myself.



( The above image was for a book I was illustrating. It is ink on paper, after this I then went on to colour it with watercolours, which I ended up prefering the shaded version so used this one)


( The above piece was something I created outside of uni hours, It is watercolours and ink, and its purpose was just to catch up on my inking skills and tbh I quite liked the outcome, its made me get back into my water colours and ink)


(The above image was an initial sketch for "How the whale got its throat" a just so story, Unfortunately after this I changed my book choice and abandoned these illustrations, after finishing this module, I will be returning to these pieces and finishing them in my personal time)


( This piece was created for my friend Alice at the beginning of uni, It was the first time I used photoshop, and a wacom. All things taken into hand I dont think its too bad but If I were to recreate the image, knowing what I do now I feel the piece would have alot more depth and better line work)


( This piece was a set of 3 images based on see no evil hear no evil and do no evil, this was the best image out of the three. I created this when I was experimenting in photoshop.)

These are a few examples of my work from university. I think they are the best representations of my style and who I am as an illustrator. I am still defining who I am within the world of illustration and I think I always will. But throughout my time at university I am slowly finding what I work best with and what suits my style.  But I will always try new things in order to get a step closer to defining me as an illustrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment