Tuesday 13 January 2015

Conclusion and Evaluation




Conclusion and Evaluation.


My initial idea for this project was to try and portray someone's inner animal through the use of body paint. I chose to use body painting because the idea of using a human body as a canvas and how it would change the emotional response of the person viewing it, once they realised it was painted on skin and not on a traditional canvas,was defiantly something I would like to explore.Multiple media designs often result in interesting and intriguing outcomes so I want to bring together more than one material. I feel that with such an open brief it would be a perfect opportunity to experiment with body illustration as this as an art form is often overlooked.  
 When I started researching about body painting I noticed that as an art form and as a technique, its extremely marginal, and it hasn't really been used in the field of illustration, I did a lot of experimenting with designs and I quickly noticed that it was a lot harder than I had expected.
Working with body paints and make up is a totally different experience than working with normal paints and pencils. Working on skin was also a weird experience.
During my development stages I found it difficult to try and create a piece that would look convincing and attractive. As I am used to working in 2D and on paper this was an extremely difficult task. I over came this problem quite simply by practising. 

Looking back on my development stages I can see how much I have progressed with this technique. The zebra design was the first image I created and the simplicity of it isn't exactly high quality. 
The wolf design I then created had more promise I included more detail and took more care on the design and structure of the image although I don't think it is fitting for a final image as there still isn't enough detail.
I then tried something new and painted my hands. This was refreshing and I enjoyed it, the only problems I had with doing this was that Im left handed and found it difficult to use my right hand to paint my left. Also it was bad that i only have small hands so the space in which I had to paint was small so unfortunately I couldn't create something with high detail.
I then decided to create a lion look, this one was extremely successful and I will be using this as my final piece, the only problems I encounters when creating this piece was trying to make sure both sides were equal and that the eyes didn't look wrong.
If i were to recreate any of these pieces I would highly consider using a model to paint on as I think it would make the whole thing much easier and I would be able to create images with much more detail. 
This is something that I will continue to do in the future but as a hobby not as part of my illustration. Unless I had the opportunity to work on a full bodied model as I think that would be an incredible chance.  
Over all I think the project went well although I would of loved to be able to create more images, I think I spent too much time researching at the beginning of the project when I should have concentrated on  creating the actual images to a higher quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment